Sunday, March 13, 2011

Week before break

This week, we started focusing on the legs and feet. Last week, we kind of defined the knees and femur a bit, but that transitioned into the tibia, the fibula, and the rest of the feet bones and muscles. I personally like drawing the feet and legs more, because I feel like we get more time to actually look at all the different tiny angles and more time to get everything to look more proportional. And I also think that the feet are little more interesting to look at and draw, don't get me wrong, I like drawing the torso and hips and everything else, but it's just, I've never really focused on feet before. We learned about the different mini-bones that makes up the feet, such as the cuneiforms, which means, “wedge”. The cuneiforms are made up of three wedges. The second cuneiform forms the bump on our feet. This really interested me, because I always noticed that my bump on my left foot was significantly larger than the bump on my right foot. Now I know what bones formed those bumps. I learned that there are 5 metatarsals for each foot, “meta” means “beyond”. The metatarsals consist of a “box”, “rod”, and a “ball”. It enables the toes to rotate. The toes are made up of three phalanges, except for the big toe; which only has two. The distal phalange is the very point of the toes that has the nail bed sitting on top of it.


This is the drawing from Friday's class, I thought the top foot was pretty successful, while I could have worked more on the bottom one, because it looked really wonky to me. No matter how much I fixed it, it did not look correct at all. As you can see, I first started drawing the feet really long, but I realized that it was foreshortened a little. My favorite part I drew of the top foot is the lateral malleolus, which we didn't learn yet, but Amy said it's the "raindrop"-shaped bone outside your ankle. A tip Amy gave me, was to lighten the lines of the objects that were further back in space (the heel in the top drawing), so the darker lines (the toes in front) would pop out more.

2 comments:

  1. your feet look really 3D! I agree that lightening the lines of the feet furthest away adds more depth. I don't think I did that in my drawings. I really like how in the bottom foot you can see all the different planes which seems to make it appear more 3D. I also liked that for our long pose we focused on the leg and foot only! It makes concentrating on drawing in all the lines of planes, bones, and muscles easier! I like drawing the malleolus too! I'm glad I know what its called now. I think what makes me like it so much is that its so much more noticeable from the rest of the bones near it because it sticks out so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will admit that the feet are very interesting and often times over looked. I had no idea how the feet even worked with all the tiny bones until this lecture. Of course now every time I stub my toe I imagine how the bones must be reacting which makes it feel more painful.

    ReplyDelete