Friday, March 4, 2011

Midterm Review

http://www.flickr.com/photos/60217180@N06/sets/



I have learned so much in Life Drawing, during the first half of this semester. I had no idea how to draw bodies correctly, and I didn’t know how to draw them proportionally. This class has helped me improve greatly in my drawings. I didn’t know much about the human body at all coming into this class. I knew that we had a sternum, ribcage, bones, and muscles. That’s pretty much all I really knew about the human body. I’ve learned about the different body landmarks that people can look for to make accurate drawings of the body. Ones such as the sacrum and the Cerebral 7 landmarks really helped me out. Even the sternum and the xyphoid process helped me form my “egg” shape a lot better. Something I learned that was very interesting to me was that we had 12 pairs of ribs, and that the last two are “floating ribs”. Which means that they don’t attach to anything in the front like the other pairs do. The changes I have noticed in my drawings is that, my body proportions are far more accurate and I can actually draw most of the body (without looking at references) now, although most of the times it might not be too accurate. I also noticed that at the beginning of our class, when we didn’t learn about the ribcage or pelvis yet, I could capture the whole body in our 30 seconds of gestural drawings, but now I can’t capture as much. This is a good thing, because it makes me draw a little slower and makes me take my time to measure the angles of everything correctly. I hope that in the second half of class, I learn to draw the whole body correctly and produce better gesture drawings. Something in-depth I would like to learn is the different segments of bones and muscles in our hands and feet. It would be interesting, and I feel like it would help me learn how to draw hands and feet well. Overall, I enjoy the class, and think it moves at a pace I am comfortable with.

2 comments:

  1. The landmarks that we learned so far have really helped me too! Landmarks such as the ribs, pelvis, and sternum have helped my drawings become more proportionate. Although sometimes in gesture drawing, its easy to accidentally leave too big of a gap in between the illiac crest and the ribs. With the male model I also still find myself drawing his mid line more vertical instead of adding in all the angles that are there. Hopefully I will get my flaws down soon within the next week or two in our life drawing class!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree Mai Lo, I didn't understand much of the human body going into this class either. However, I had the hardest time getting the whole body in at the beginning of the class, where as I am getting a lot more in now. Maybe it is all of the practice.

    ReplyDelete