Sunday, February 27, 2011

a lot of clay

This week, we finished a lot of our clay maniken. On Monday, we worked on the Hamstrings, which consists of the Semimembranosous, the Semitendinosous, the Biceps Femoris (meaning "two heads"), and the Sartorius. I learned that the Sartorius is the longest muscle in the body and it fits in the groove between the quads and the adductors (in a spiral form). On Wednesday, we drew some more poses; which I forgot to take pictures of again. Hmm, I should try to just take pictures at the end of each class, because I always think I'm going to come back and finish my maniken during the weekend. But I usually get done with the homework muscles by the end of the class period. On Friday, we again worked on more homework muscles while Amy went around to check off people’s muscles and help them correct it. But she didn’t quite get to the people in our area, so I don't know if my previous homework muscles are correct yet. The muscles we learned on Friday were: the Peronus Longus (also known as “Pin” and “Fibula”), the Soleus, and the Gastrocnemius (which has a silent “c”—I found this to be very interesting). I am hoping we get to draw and do our muscles equally this next week. I need more practice.


A diagram of the posterior view of the legs.

When we drew on Wednesday, we started to add more details, such as the lines of the thighs. I feel as though my quick gestural drawings are a little lacking lately because I can’t seem to fit the “egg” (the ribcage), the pelvis + the hip bones + the pubic bone, the sacrum, and the thighs in 30 seconds. But I also need to practice gestures because the faster I can get everything down in 30 seconds means I can fine-tune the details when we move onto the one minute and longer drawings. I think I am starting to get the hang of having the spinal column not be too long or too short.

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad we had see much in class time to work on our manikins last week. I was really able to see what I was doing wrong with my muscles. With the thighs of my manikin, I had to fix some of the connections to the bone and make sure that all the muscles where tightly together. Now I think my manikin actually looks how human muscles should look! I wonder when we will start working on the arms. I am actually looking forward to that part of the manikin!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a hard time placing the Sartorius on the clay manikin because I believed it spiraled around the thigh, where as it just slightly wraps around the knee. I did find it interesting that we have such a specific muscle for propping our legs on each other.

    ReplyDelete