Sunday, February 13, 2011

new model

We learned more about the muscles and practiced drawing more positions of the ribcage and spinal column. This week we had a male model for the first time, it was much much easier to see the ribcage and especially the sternum. Before, when we had the girl model, it was kind of difficult to see the sternum because of the breasts. So it's much easier to find on the male model, but sometimes I got confused if I was looking at his ribcage or his muscles. I practiced drawing outside of class without references, and so it is totally not accurate, but I found that knowing where everything is located helps me develop body forms a lot faster than I used to. I used to skip drawing the bodies, in my characters, in general because I really sucked at body proportions. But it is slowly starting to get better. I am learning a lot in this class, and I'm glad we're able to get to draw both a female and male model, even though I was nervous at first, I've gotten used to just drawing and looking at the shapes of the ribcage and stuff, and not really the body yet.


We built about four more muscles onto our manikens, the Gluteus Medius, Tensor Fasciae Latae, and the Gluteus Maximus (Iliac & Axial Head). They are all muscles that help form our butts. I've never actually looked at the shape of the butt before, and I didn't realize that there were so many different curves of muscles on the butt. I always thought it was just a round shape.

This is a drawing somebody drew on the website DeviantArt. I love looking at the shape of the body, it inspires me to try and draw better ribcages and such. I want to be able to draw without using many references for the torso, in the near future.

2 comments:

  1. I would agree that finding the sternum on the male model is easier, but otherwise I find it easier to draw the female model. I think its because the body is curvier making it easier to see our other "landmarks". I also think that I would be much more accurate at drawing a body without reference now then compared to before this class. I think that from learning all the different bones and muscles that make up the body its easier to get the proportions right.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to admit it was a big difference between the male model and the female model. I feel the muscles are easier to see on the male, but the structure to me feels more rigid, perhaps that is just how the models work though.

    ReplyDelete