Saturday, February 5, 2011

Starting on clay manikens

This week, we spent a lot of time studying the spinal column, taking notes, and sketching various poses of the spinal cord.

Monday-- We took notes and went over the Vertebral Column. I learned about the anatomical landmarks, and that the first anatomical landmark was C7, which is the bone you can clearly feel at the back of your neck. I also learned that newborn babies are born with no Lumbar or Cervical until they are about a year or so old. We then did quick sketches of our model's spinal cord, and nothing else. I am used to drawing faster, so when we had to take ten minutes to draw one line, it kind of killed me a little. haha. But, I am getting a little better at taking my time.

Wednesday-- We received our manikens, peeled off the existing clay, and cleaned them. Then we took more notes and learned about the muscles in the body. I learned that a muscle MUST cross over at least one joint for our limbs to be able to function; and that tendons attach the muscles to bones, and ligaments attach bones to bones.


Friday-- We went over which parts we were to start building on our manikens for Monday. Then after, we started sketching in time increments of fifteen seconds, thirty seconds, one minute, two minutes, and two ten minute sketches. After that, we spent half an hour trying to sketch and perfect a drawing of what we could see of the spinal cord (on our nude body model). And then we drew cross contour lines over it perpendicular to the spinal line. And although this sketch took awhile, I felt that I was able to draw the spinal cord line fairly accurately. And it really helped me slow down, instead of sketch fast like I usually do

2 comments:

  1. I liked when we added in contour lines Friday! When we hung up our drawings on the wall it was easy to see what our teacher Amy expected of our contour lines to look like. It was also helpful to know that when drawing contour lines and human bodies in general that it is important to capture the human body or body part at an angle in order to be able to better illustrate space. I know my drawing could of been better, but at least now I know how to apply contour lines to suggest a 3D figure in a space.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, to start out I found the book a little hard to understand when we first started to put the muscles on the maniken. I felt like I was reading a quantum physics book trying to study for the final exam when I skiped all the classes. However, once I realized how the terms worked I started to feel that I wasn't reading the book upside down anymore.

    ReplyDelete